Gluten-Free Bircher Müesli
The name birchermüesli comes from its creator, the Swiss doctor Maximilian Bircher-Benner who created its recipe at the beginning of the 20th century. Müesli means litteraly ‘little purée’.
Birchermüesli is traditionally made of oats, milk, lemon juice and grated apple.
My version has a slight twist (as always;) with gluten-free oats, apple bits and non-dairy milk.
This dish is an excellent breakfast or snack with loads of natural fibers brought by the cereals, vitamins with the fresh fruits and very little fat.
- 500g gluten-free rolled oats
- 700 ml organic apple juice
- 250 ml water
- the juice of one lemon
- 50g crushed organic almonds
- 2 small organic apples, seedless and sliced into small quarters
- 4 à 5 tbsp goat milk or soy yogurt
- 2 handful organic fresh blueberries or any other fresh fruit of your choice
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- The night before, place the oats into a large bowl and let them soak in the water, apple and lemon juice; leave them in the fridge for the night
- in small bowls, scoop some oats with the existing liquid, add the yogurt and top with fresh fruits
- Serve tepid (in that case, warm the oats before adding the yogurt) or cold and drizzle with agave syrup