Egg-Free Chocolate Mousse
Even though, I was diagnosed intolerant to egg white, I was never frustrated because of some of my recipes: chocolate mousse with avocado, with soft tofu (see my posts in the ‘desserts’ section)… they do not seem tempting like that but I can assure you that those are delicious. Really.
This recipe allows me to offer you a true ‘mousse’ moment, this typical French airy and ‘chocolatey’ mix that makes you go nuts and guess what? Egg-free !
And the crazy thing in all this: maybe the mousse is not as firm as the classic one, but I really bet you will see nor taste the difference.
The secret? Some whisked chickpea water mixed with chocolate… Ta da!
- the juice of one chickpea can (400g)
- 120g black chocolate melted at ‘bain-marie’
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 15g cane sugar (optional)
- 5 lemon juice drops (optional)
- Whisk the chickpea water till you form peaks, slowly adding the salt and the lemon juice (the lemon juice is optional, it will give the mousse a slight lemon flavour. The lemon drops are supposed to help the mousse be more firm… I have not seen a real difference to be honest). You can add sugar if you want, I personally, prefer a strong chocolate mousse rather than a too sweet one.
- Pour the chickpea mousse on top of the melted chocolate and slowly mix with a spatula
- Once you have an homogeneous mixture, pour it into some small bowls and leave those in the fridge for at least 2 hours