Cornbread is one classic dish from the American cuisine (generally served at a barbecue) and I’ve always wanted to make this recipe between cake and bread. Cornbread is linked to the southern states of the US and would be historically linked to the American settlers using corn flour instead of wheat flour, too expensive by then.
Cornbread can be fried, baked in an oven or steamed .
My recipe is oven baked and really easy to make.
You will have to prepare beforehand some buttermilk (follow the instructions below) so the cornbread is really moist.
You can make individual portions or cook a large cornbread that you will slice.
- 200 g precooked polenta
- 285 ml buttermilk with 285 ml soy milk and the juice of one lemon
- 25g organic butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 pinch of salt
- In a bowl, mix the soy milk and the lemon juice. Leave it to rest for 15 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- In a bowl, mix the polenta, the baking powder, the baking soda, the xanthan gum and the salt; Mix well
- Add the egg yolks and mix
- Add the melted butter and mix
- Add the buttermilk and mix
- Pour the mix in a buttered and floured pan
- Cook the cornbread till the point of your knife inserted in the cake comes out clean
- Serve warm or tepid