Pasta with Sardines, Tomatoes, Spelt & Herbs
Full Summer is here !
And with it, the pleasure to cook fresh fish.
You can find sardines on the market stalls at this time of the year (actually there are available from March to November).
They are highly concentrated with proteins, calcium, vitamin D, iron and omega 3. Like all the other oily fishes, sardines are really an asset for your health.
If you cannot find fresh sardines at your fishmonger, you can easily find canned ones. I bought some last time I went to Lisbon and their boxes are so pretty, I do not even want to open them !
Recipes with sardines are infinite. Here’s one with fresh tomatoes, herbs and spelt breadcrumbs.
- 300g gluten-free pasta
- 3 tbsp + 3 tbsp extra organic olive oil
- 3 cups spelt breadcrumbs
- 10 middle size tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 can organic tomato pulp
- 100g fresh sardines or canned ones (plain), cleaned
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 large handful parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 medium size yellow onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- salt and pepper
- In an pan, fry the spelt breadcrumbs with 3 tbsp olive oil; Once they are golden, retrieve from the fire
- In another pan, brown the onion in the rest of the olive oil, then add the sardines. Let them roast a little bit (they will crumble), then add the peeled tomatoes
- Once slightly golden, add the tomato pulp, the balsamic vinegar, season to taste and let the whole mixture simmer on low heat for few minutes (approx. 5 minutes)
- Cook the pasta in salted water and drain them
- Serve the pasta in the plates and top with the mix of sardines and tomatoes
- Top with spelt breadcrumbs and fresh parsley