Gluten-Free Red Berry & Lemon Curd Tart
It’s the season for red berries !
You can find nowadays amazing organic strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blackcurrants… a color and flavor extravaganza which should definitely enjoy (same for the vitamine C and the potassium they contain)!
Here’s a tart recipe where the delicious dough is a shortbread one and gluten-free (which is not always the case).
This dough is good and crunchy and you should not wait too long before you eat it (after few hours, the lemon curd will kind of ruin the crunchiness of this tart).
The softness of the fruits beautifully contrasts with the zingy twist of the lemon curd.
The flowers are edible (I chose peonies for their colors).
- 70g cornstarch
- 110g almond flour
- 100g rice flour
- 100g cane sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3 egg yolks
- 17 cl olive oil
- 800g Gariguette or other organic strawberries, hulled, cleaned and dried
- 250g raspberries, cleaned and dried
- 250g blueberries, cleaned and dried
- icing sugar for decorating (optional)
- edible flowers for decorating (optional)
For the ‘lemon curd’
- 80g cane sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 20g cornstarch
- the juice and the zest of two organic lemons
- 90g organic butter
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch, the almond flour, the rice flour and the sugar
- Add the eeg yolks and mix them one by one
- Add the maple syrup and the olive oil. Mix again
- Use your hands to mix the dough and create a compact ball
- Spread the dough on a baking tray covered with baking paper (if you have problems spreading the dough, use another sheet of baking paper and use your rolling pin on that baking paper sheet; It will prevent the dough from sticking to the rolling pin)
- Cook the dough till it is slightly golden; Set aside and let it cool down
- In a pan, mix the sugar and the egg yolks; Stir well till the mix whitens
- Add the lemon juice and zest and stir again
- Dilute slowly the cornstarch in a little bit of hot water to prevent any lumps and add it to the sugar/yolks/ lemon mix while stirring constantly
- Add the butter and stir again; When the curd is thicker, remove it from the heat and pour it into a cold bowl to stop from thickening more
- Spread the curd on the tart base; Top with the fruits and the flowers
- Sprinkle with icing sugar just before serving