Marinated Eggplants, Goat Cheese & Spelt Bread
Here’s a marinated eggplant recipe that I’ve used many times this Summer on toasted spelt bread…and I can say that I had a lot of fans on this one!
The eggplants are oven-cooked and then marinated in maple syrup, olive oil and garlic.
Eggplants are loaded with manganese, copper but are also a great source of B1 and B6 vitamins as well as antioxidants (some of them in their colored skin).
And as eggplant will soon disappear because of the end of the Fall season and the coming of Winter, you need to taste this delicious recipe beforehand !
- 3 medium size eggplants, peeled and sliced as thinly as possible with a mandolin
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
- 2 large handful mint, chopped
- Guérande salt and pepper
- 8 slices of spelt bread
- 8 tbsp fresh goat cheese
- Preheat your oven to 300F
- In an oven dish, spread well the eggplant slices. Drizzle with the olive oil and stir well so the eggplants are all covered with oil
- Let them cook till they are ‘transparents’
- Retrieve them from the oven, top with maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, one handful of chopped mint and the sliced garlic
- Close the dish with a lid and let it cool down before placing it in the fridge for few hours (at least 3 hours)
- When the eggplants are ready, toast your bread, spread the goat cheese, top with the marinated vegetables and the remaining chopped herbs
- Season to taste