Gluten-Free Cod Croquettes
Salted cod is not often chosen on the market stalls but it is a great great ingredient !
I already published a recipe with cod a while ago ( a cod risotto with basil, sorrel and samphire) and I loved using every single part of that fish : you can basically keep everything, the flesh but also the head, the skin and the bakcbone for delicious broths.
How to recognize a real cod within all the other fish (some fishmongers could be selling you other species dried and salted with the same process but they are not salted cod) :
– its color is not optic white but closer to a pale yellow,
– the top of its tail should not have white stains,
– its skin can be peeled easily,
– cod is often wide and tall; no narrow fish filet can be named ‘cod’,
– if the drying process with salt has been done well, the widest part of the fish should stay horizontal and not bend when laid on your kitchen counter.
You can freeze cod only when it is dessalinated.
You can dessalinate cod by leaving it 24h in water. Place the fish filet in a large bowl with the skin facing upwards so the salt can fall at the bottom of your dish and will not stick in the skin. During those 24h, change the water three times and rince the filets thoroughly.
If your cod has still too much salt to your taste – you can taste it before preparing your recipe, it has already been cooked by the salt, you can soak it in milk for an hour. You can use this technique every time you want to grill or roast cod, it will be less dry.
- 900g salted cod, dessalinated and crumbled
- 900g potatoes, peeled
- 50g gluten-free flour
- 2 yolks
- 2 large handful chopped parsley + some extra to serve
- 150g gluten-free breadcrumbs
- some pepper (start with a pinch)
- rapeseed oil for deep-frying
- Puree the potatoes once cooked. You can leave some small chunks
- In a bowl, mix the cod crumbs, the potatoes, the flour, the yolks and the parsley. Add pepper but not salt as the cod is already salty
- Mix well and shape into thick patties; Set aside
- In a plate, pour the breadcrumbs
- Dip the fishcakes in the breadcrumbs and press them on well to coat them evenly
- Heat the oil and deep-fry the fishcakes for few minutes until crips and golden
- Drain briefly on a tray lined with kitchen paper and serve with a fresh salad, large capers (caperberries) and/or a mayonnaise with herbs and capers