16 March 2015
Vegan Chamomile Panna Cotta & Lemon Rind Sauce
Panna cotta is a traditional Italian dessert, made of full fat milk and cream…
Here’s a much lighter vegan version: with almond and coconut milk, very little sugar and slightly flavored with chamomile as well as topped with preserved lemon zests.
So you can have a sweet tooth and still take good care of yourself!
Ingredients for the panna cotta:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 tbsp agave syrup
- 2 tsp agar agar powder
- 1 organic chamomile herbal tea bag
- 7 dried chamomile flowers
- 1 tsp ground vanilla beans
Ingredients for the lemon rind sauce:
- the zest for two lemons
- ½ cup maple syrup
- the juice of one lemon
- In a pan, mix the almond milk, the coconut milk, the agave syrup, the chamomile flowers and tea bag, the vanilla.
- Let it simmer for 3 minutes so the chamomile can infuse, then add the agar agar and let it simmer for 3 more minutes while stirring constantly.
- Strain the mixture and pour it in small bowls.
- Let the panna cotta cool down before storing in your fridge for at least 2 hours.
- For the lemon sauce: in a pan, add the lemon zest, maple syrup and lemon juice.
- Let it simmer on low heat for 8 to 10 minutes till the mixture becomes thicker. When the sauce will cool down, it will become even more syrupy.
- Unmold the panna cotta by inverting on plate and inserting a knife point on the side, the panna cotta will unmold inmmediately.
- Serve with the lemon rind sauce on top (favor the zest part).