‘All Green’ Rolls
I love making rolls all year long as this recipe is really easy to make and is always a hit.
Here’s a Summer version with….green ingredients ! I had this idea as I can’t stop buying loads and loads of fresh herbs at the market every sunday. I always end up with bunches of green stuff such as parsley, basil, coriander, mint, fresh thyme, dill and chives…for the most common ones I find.
All those herbs are loaded with numerous virtues such as antioxidants, vitamines, easing the digestion, anti-inflammatory properties,…
You will also find in those rolls some avocado, cucumber (it’s still the full season with their lovely yellow flower at one end) and some lettuce. You can add some firm tofu if you want.
For the sauce, you can either make my satay sauce (check my recipe on my blog in the ‘side’ section) or go for a lighter sauce described hereafter.
- 1 rice paper per roll (22 cm diameter, beyond it’s hard to eat it in one piece) so 10 in total
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced thinly
- 5 lettuce leaves, cleaned and cut into small bits
- 1 middle size cucumber, peeled, seedless and cut into sticks
- 1 handful mint leaves, cleaned
- 1 handful flat parsley leaves, cleaned
- 1 coriander leaves, cleaned
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup nuoc mâm
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- Prepare all your ingredients before starting your rolls
- Prepare also a bowl of lukewarm water. You’ll dip the rice paper in it
- Once you’re ready, gently dip the rice paper approx. 8/10 seconds in the water; do not over soak it or the rice paper will absorb too much water and will be hard to fold without tearing it
- Display the rice paper on a non sticky surface (I use a large plastic chopping block)
- Place the ingredients close to one edge of the circle and add all your filling neatly
- Then start rolling, keeping all the ingredients grouped and centered
- Keep rolling and tuck the sides (towards the center) very soon after starting to roll. The humidity of the water causing the rice paper to be a little bit sticky will help you ‘close it’ at the end
- Mix all the sauce ingredients and serve the spring rolls with some sauce in individual bowls